Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wood be expensive

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
I finally decided upon walnut for my mini-chair project. And now I must officially follow through on it: I turned in my fair entry form this afternoon, along with the $5.00 entry fee. I think Ill see if I can add some faux splines along each of the bends. Thought about fingerjoints but quickly talked myself out of that madness.

Heres what a $34 chunk of walnut looks like:


Wow. Thats why I use scrap wood whenever I can and save all sorts of cut-offs. Im not sure what the going rate is for walnut, but this is a 4 x 1" x 6" board. Does that seem high? I had a fleeting thought about some really exotic wood, but came to my senses at the prices for purpleheart, wenge, and others. Thankfully, my lumberyard will sell you wood at any length you want.

Ah well. Im certain I can squeeze several projects out of this. First, Ill resaw it in two. Kind of like getting twice as much wood!

Ill keep you updated on the progress. I want to get this done this weekend.


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment