Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bathroom Complete At Last

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
With the completion of a custom light fixture over the window, the project is finally complete.



The light is provided by LED flex strips around the rim, aimed at the ceiling. The number I have is about equal to a 30w incandescent bulb, but with not heat generation and way less power consumption.



This is the top frame with the LED flex strips attached.



A closer look at the lights. Originally, I was just going to have the lights reflect off of teh white ceiling, but there was a rim of light that was too bright, the LEDs could be seen, the ceiling didnt look good enough to be highlighted, and my wife didnt like the screws I used to mount the lower trim.



So on to plan B. I added a piece between the light frame and the trim that would hide the LEDs, and support a frosted plastic insert. The piece required some milling, so I finally had an opportunity to use my new Super SRK. Ill say that the SSRK is one heck of a tool, I can see that Im going to get lots of use out of it and will be coming up with all kinds of additional front ends for it. This is the end profile of the piece, actually two pieces, that I will rip out of this larger piece. The parts will be ripped off of the raised part in the middle.



The lumber that I was making the parts out of was 60" long, so I couldnt use my Router Power Bench. So I used the PBB. Here is the setup.



This is a cross section of the light fixture.


This is the same shot as that of the first design, I have to admit my wife is right, it really looks better. I didnt want to fasten the trim up with brads, in case I ever have to do repairs (probably never since the LEDs have a life expectancy of 50,000 to 60,000 hours). My solution was to use rare earth magnets, sockets and washers (www.leevalley.com) counter-sunk into the trim and the large frame. The light frame is attached with screws to the large frame, and the frame for the plastic insert is attached to the light frame with screws also.



A "skylight" at night (notice the snow on the tree outside the window, the first accumulation we have had in years, 4" before it was over).



My wife lives it because it doesnt hurt her eyes like most direct lighting does.

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment